This homemade vegan yogurt made with raw vanilla protein is loaded with vitamins, and contains beneficial probiotics which help destroy harmful microorganisms that cause intestinal infections. With the perfect ratio of protein to carbohydrates, this yogurt makes a perfect post workout meal that can help you recover quickly.
- 4 cups non-dairy milk (soy, oat, rice, hemp or coconut milk work well in this recipe)
- Approximately 1 tsp thickener (more or less depending on desired thickness): flax seed, arrow root, agar agar, tapioca flour, or guar gum are some examples that work well in this recipe.
- Vegan yogurt starter: cultures for health is a blend of bacteria specifically made for making dairy-free yogurt (amount varies, follow package instructions). Or you can use ½ cup of store-bought vegan yogurt.
- Preheat the oven at 50º C or 120º F.
- Pour the non-dairy milk into a saucepan; add thickener, stir and heat the mixture to 90º C or 195º F, making sure it doesn’t come to a boil.
- Pour the mixture in a bowl and let it cool to 40-50ºC, or 105º F-120º F.
- Add the starter (soy yogurt or yogurt starter), stir well, and then pour the mixture into a suitable oven-safe container.
- Turn off the oven, place the glass jars or containers (without lids) inside and let stand for at least 8 hours. Make sure to not open the oven during this time period.
- Store in fridge in an air-tight container. It will continue to firm up as it cools.